Published on: 2/1/2020

Tenth case of coronavirus confirmed in Australia

User Image Web Editor Last updated on: 2/1/2020

Health authorities confirm another case of coronavirus in Victoria taking the total number of confirmed Australian cases to ten

A tenth person has been diagnosed with coronavirus in Australia, health authorities have confirmed. 

The woman, who is in her 20s, lives in Melbourne and is at home recovering from the respiratory disease. 

She returned from Wuhan, the coronavirus epicentre, on January 25 and fell ill two days later. 

Health authorities insisted she was not infectious on the flight, and has remained in isolation since being tested. 

Authorities said there are no public exposure sites and the woman had not been in close contact with anyone. 

There are now 10 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia (pictured) with dozens more people undergoing tests
© Provided by Daily Mail There are now 10 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Australia (pictured) with dozens more people undergoing testsIt comes as hundreds of citizens prepare to be evacuated from the disease-stricken Hubai province. 

Victoria’s Chief Health Officer Dr Brett Sutton said: 'After spending time in Wuhan, Hubei Province, she returned home to Victoria on January 25 and became unwell two days later.

'The woman is not considered to have been infectious on her flight to Melbourne.

'Since then, she has remained at home and isolated and has had no visitors.

'There are therefore no public exposure sites and the department has not identified any close contacts that require follow up.' 

a person preparing food in a kitchen: Shoppers are pictured wearing facemasks at a seafood market in Sydney's Cabramatta (pictured) with the number of people affected in Australia rising to 10
© Provided by Daily Mail Shoppers are pictured wearing facemasks at a seafood market in Sydney's Cabramatta (pictured) with the number of people affected in Australia rising to 10It comes amid concerns the outbreak could rapidly get worse and become even deadlier as it continues to spread worldwide. 

The chilling warning comes as a Qantas jet waits on standby to rescue Australian citizens from Wuhan, which is in lockdown.

Just over a quarter of the 600 Australians there have registered with the Department of Foreign Affairs to be evacuated.

The plane is expected to arrive in the virus-stricken city on Sunday, before arriving in Darwin in the early hours of Monday morning.

It will then fly the stranded Australians to Christmas Island, where a disaster response team has already been sent.

a dining room table: An man infected with coronavirus visited the House Of Delight restaurant (pictured) at Glen Waverley in Melbourne's south-east with five family members on January 26
© Provided by Daily Mail An man infected with coronavirus visited the House Of Delight restaurant (pictured) at Glen Waverley in Melbourne's south-east with five family members on January 26They will stay at a quarantine centre on the island - 2,600 kilometres from the mainland - for two weeks before returning home. 

The World Health Organisation declared a global emergency and the US has urged its citizens to avoid China.

It comes as chilling images emerged from Wuhan of the body of a man on a pavement outside a furniture store being surrounded by police in hazmat suits.

It's understood the grey-haired man collapsed and died in the street while wearing a face mask as the death toll in China rise to 213. 

The virus, which emerged late last year, has infected thousands in China with at least 159 deaths in Wuhan alone.

a person riding a bicycle on a city street: A man wearing a face mask cycles past the body of a man who collapsed and died on a pavement in Wuhan (pictured), a city of 1 1million people which is under quarantine
© Provided by Daily Mail A man wearing a face mask cycles past the body of a man who collapsed and died on a pavement in Wuhan (pictured), a city of 1 1million people which is under quarantineAuthorities have imposed an unprecedented lockdown of the city of 11million, blocking off roads out and banning flights, in a bid to stop the virus spreading 

Australia's gateways, major tourist destinations, universities and suburbs in Sydney and Melbourne with large numbers of Chinese have emerged as the frontline in the fight against the deadly virus.  

Fears are held thousands of Australians could have been unwittingly exposed to the virus in airplanes, restaurants and shopping centres by 10 confirmed infected patients.


2/1/2020 | 231 | Permalink